New Delhi: The Delhi Government is expected to extend the existing excise policy beyond its March 31 expiry, as officials continue work on drafting a new liquor policy, government sources said on Friday.
The duty-based excise regime, which has been in place since the 2022–23 licensing year, was last extended in June 2025 for the 2025–26 financial year. That extension covers the period from July 1, 2025, to March 31, 2026.
According to officials, the excise department has now submitted a proposal seeking a further extension of the current policy for the 2026–27 financial year. The proposal is awaiting approval from the government.
Background of the Policy
The existing excise framework has remained in force since 2023–24, after the previous reform-oriented policy introduced in 2021–22 was withdrawn. That earlier policy had allowed private players to operate retail liquor stores but was scrapped in July 2022 following allegations of irregularities during the tenure of the Aam Aadmi Party-led administration.
The older excise regime was subsequently reinstated in September 2022 and has been extended multiple times since then.
What the Government Plans Next
Officials said the government intends to introduce a fresh excise policy aimed at ensuring transparency, regulatory clarity, and the availability of quality liquor across the capital. However, work on the new framework is still underway.
Under the current system, retail liquor sales in Delhi are managed exclusively by four government-owned corporations, with no involvement of private retailers.
Until a new policy is finalized and approved, officials indicated that continuing with the existing excise regime remains the most practical option to avoid disruption in supply and revenue.
