Ambikapur, India — Thirteen juvenile detainees escaped late Monday night from a government-run “Place of Safety” (juvenile observation facility) in Chhattisgarh’s Surguja region after allegedly attacking on-duty security personnel. Police said five of the escapees were recaptured within hours, while an intensive search is underway for the remaining eight.
According to officials, the incident occurred in the Gandhinagar police station jurisdiction when guards were escorting detainees back to their rooms. As a gate was opened, 13 juveniles allegedly turned violent, pushing past guards and fleeing the premises. Three security personnel were present at the time; two sustained injuries during the scuffle.
The facility houses juveniles accused in serious criminal cases, including murder, sexual assault, theft, and violent offenses. The sudden breakout triggered an emergency response, with police teams fanning out across likely escape routes and nearby localities.
Families of the missing juveniles have been notified, and authorities are checking locations where the youths may seek shelter. “We have recovered five juveniles so far, and efforts are ongoing to locate the remaining eight,” said Praveen Kumar Dwivedi, Station House Officer of Gandhinagar Police Station.
Security at the observation home has been tightened following the incident. An internal review is expected to examine lapses and assess additional safeguards to prevent similar escapes in the future.
The search operations continue across Surguja district, with police urging the public to report any information that could help trace the remaining juveniles.
