Trump Says India Trade Deal Remains Intact Despite U.S. Supreme Court Ruling on Tariffs


New Delhi / Washington: U.S. President Donald Trump said on Friday that there would be no change to the trade deal with India, despite a U.S. Supreme Court ruling striking down his sweeping tariff measures imposed on several countries.

Speaking at a press conference at the White House hours after the verdict, Trump asserted that negotiations with India remain unaffected. “The India deal is on,” he said.

Trump described his relationship with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi as strong, calling it “fantastic,” and said trade ties between the two countries continue to move forward.

Claims on Energy and Global Conflicts

Trump claimed that India significantly reduced its oil imports from Russia at his request, linking the move to broader efforts to end the war in Ukraine. “India was getting its oil from Russia, and they pulled way back at my request,” he said, adding that the U.S. wants to end what he described as a devastating conflict.

The U.S. President also repeated his assertion that he helped prevent a war between India and Pakistan last summer by using tariffs as leverage. Trump claimed that escalating tensions between the two nuclear-armed neighbors were defused after he warned both sides of severe trade consequences.

“I said, ‘You’re going to fight, that’s fine, but you’re not going to do business with the United States,’” Trump said, adding that both countries subsequently agreed to de-escalate.

Trade Framework and Tariff Changes

Earlier this month, India and the United States announced a framework for an interim trade agreement. As part of that arrangement, Trump signed an executive order removing the 25 percent punitive tariffs previously imposed on India over its purchases of Russian oil. The U.S. administration cited New Delhi’s commitment to reduce energy imports from Moscow and increase purchases of American energy products.

Under the framework, the U.S. will impose a reduced reciprocal tariff of 18 percent on Indian goods, down from 25 percent.

When asked whether the Supreme Court ruling would impact the India deal, Trump said it would not. “Nothing changes. They’ll be paying tariffs, and we will not be paying tariffs,” he said, describing the agreement as “fair” and a reversal of past trade dynamics.

Reaction to Supreme Court Decision

Trump sharply criticized the Supreme Court of the United States for striking down his tariff regime, arguing that tariffs have played a critical role in strengthening U.S. national security and resolving international conflicts.

“Tariffs have been used to end wars,” Trump said, again citing India and Pakistan among conflicts he claimed to have helped defuse.

Despite the legal setback, Trump emphasized that all trade deals negotiated by his administration remain active. “All the deals are on,” he said. “We’re just going to do it in a different way.”


Leave a Reply